Monday, May 16, 2011

My Philosophy of Education and Technology

Blog topic #1

I have always been interested in language acquisition.  How and when do we learn language?  We learn our first language from within the womb.  Children who grow up in multilingual environments are easily able to acquire more than one language growing up.  The brain research is very clear and the bilingual brain fires more synapses and has improved access to more neurological pathways.  The brain is literally mapped for future success in learning subsequent languages.  While the brain maintains some plasticity and can be retrained, it is more difficult for adult learners of a second language.  When they begin to learn another language, they have to use different pathways and it usually takes an increased amount of time, effort, and money to achieve a fraction of the proficiency.

My philosophy in education is pretty eclectic.  I started out as a computer science major in my undergraduate studies and became frustrated with the ever-changing technology.  I actually enjoyed learning the languages Pascal and Cobol, which are now obsolete and have suffered attrition in my proficiency.  I no longer speak computer.  I completed my Psychology and Spanish majors by default.  I had started learning Spanish when I was 10.

At the time, I thought about teaching, but I wanted to teach younger children- not High School.  I love to see the emerging language acquisition in a rich language environment.  I pursued my Masters in Spanish Linguistics followed by doctoral studies in Applied Linguistics and some hands-on research with bilingual children.  I have traveled extensively and now speak English, Spanish, Italian, German, and am learning French.  I married a man from Italy and our children are multilingual.  When my children were little, I home schooled for linguistic reasons.  I have formulated a holistic eclectic philosophy of education, incorporating Waldorf, Montessori, and behaviorist through constructivist.

I believe that education is not one-size-fits all.  We must constantly be negotiating meaning between all stake holders.      

My philosophy of Spanish instruction has been to learn languages early and often...before the window of opportunity closes.

Unfortunately, in Illinois this has not been a priority.  Nationally, NCLB and high-stakes testing have rendered Spanish Language instruction as not mandated (except in HS and college, which does not yield optimal proficiency outcomes), not funded and not tested.  This, coupled with English-only movements and a backlash against Hispanic immigrants has made early second language instruction almost nonexistent.  Bilingual Education is a political hotbed.

We will all need to be technologically literate.  I think we can already see the effects of early exposure to the creation of digital natives.  Let's hope that advancing technology doesn't make teachers obsolete.        

3 comments:

  1. I definitely agree that education is dependent upon the learners and it is definitely interesting to see how that fits in with technology. I also agree that knowing how to use technology in a meaningful way is important but I do believe that our students need teachers to model that. I do not believe that teachers will become obsolete because it is through meaningful connections and interactions between teachers and students where a lot of learning takes place. For example, I had my students write math journals every day. I give them prompts on various topics and one of the topics I presented my students with was, “If given the choice, would you rather have a teacher or a robot (computer) to use for learning?” The majority of my students wrote that they would want the teacher. One of my students even wrote that they wanted a teacher because she felt that a computer wouldn’t provide the same experience. There were a couple that wanted the computer, but mainly their reasoning was because they would never get in any discipline problems during a class. Advancing technology can only enhance our roles as educators not replace us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Erica re: the role of teachers. I think the answer to your concern re: technology replacing teachers rests in how one defines education. If it is the relatively simple transfer of skills, then yes, teachers can become obsolete. If education is understood as a deeply human process of cultivating the spirit, then no, the teacher cannot be made obsolete.

    I will be curious to hear or read how you see some of these new technologies enhancing language instruction (if at all).

    jd

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like Erica's comment on her students' responses to whether or not they would rather have a computer or a teacher. I'd prefer a teacher too!

    I see a lot of potential with technology in language learning.

    I do think that teaching is an art and that teachers bring more to education than merely transferring a skill. I frequently use recent technology with the upper levels, teaching them how to appropriately use google translate for example. At the lower levels, I try to teach students to become active learners and incorporate their background knowledge of favorite movies to enhance their language skills when watching them again in Spanish. What new communicative phrases and vocabulary can they pick up and incorporate into their own production of the language?

    Perhaps my estimation of education has been diminished by the constant barrage of unfunded, and mandated regulation, largely focusing on boosting math and language arts through standardized testing and "accountability" measures used against teachers. Foreign language instruction has been reduced, as have fine arts, social studies, and humanities - the previous liberal arts studies and a the formation of a renaissance, well-rounded individual.

    Oppenheimer alludes to the rebirth of the technocrats with every new generation of technology.

    If we do not learn from history, we are destined to continue making the same mistakes.

    Thank you for your thoughtful responses to my posting!

    ReplyDelete