Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Media in the lives of 8- to 18-year-olds

Blog topic #3

It makes sense that use of technology would go up with increased access and availability.  I was shocked that heavy youth users are "plugged in" around 10 hours a day, the same amount many adults work every day... only, as the Kaiser report points out, kids spend 7 days a week with this schedule, not just 5.

The correlation between amount of time and decreased personal satisfaction and grades is very interesting.  I question the inclusion of music as one of the media measured with the other forms.  I know that I frequently work better when I can control what I am hearing instead of other's voices or the constant drone of TVs left on in communal areas. 

One of the most important findings is that we parents can monitor and control the amount of media our children consume if we choose.  Having grown up myself with limits on TV and computer, I approached my parenthood with the same idea.  When we got our third TV in our home, somehow we had to add satellite for more options.  With each additional computer, I wondered about the amount of time our children spent on them.  It was easier at first to set limits, like putting the computers in an open spot of high traffic.  I limited how much and which hours the kids could go on line.  I was resistant to getting an xbox too.

I feel that for the most part I did a fair job.  As parents will tell you, it helps if both of them are on the same page.  I couldn't get my husband to participate in TV turn off days.  When I suggested that we unplug or monitor TV use, it was only done when I was home.  If I had to work or go to a meeting, I would come home to my youngest watching TV.  She became increasingly hard to regulate, since I couldn't be there all the time to do it. 

How do I think the findings will affect my teaching?  I'm not really sure.  Teachers can model moderate use of technology, they can instruct children about it... but at the end of the school day, children go home.

3 comments:

  1. Kathy,

    I agree with your reasoning about parent involvement in supervising the amount of time spent using various media technology. My parents were strict about the amount of time I would spend watching television and use of the computer. I also did not have a television in my bedroom as a child and I still do not have one as an adult. Looking back I am glad my parents had these guidelines,because I was able to use that time for other activities. This also allowed us as a family to spend time doing other activities, going to museums and having family discussions. I hope more parents would become involved and monitor his/her child amount spent using various media technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, I agree with what you said about music being compared to the other media. A person's mind is creatively engaged when listening to music, as opposed to other mind-numbing activities like t.v. and video games.

    I also struggle with how to model self-control with media to my students and how little influence that has compared to what happens when they go home. I can remember growing up with (what I thought were) very strict television and phone restrictions. Now I'm very grateful that my parents blocked out MTV during my junior high and high school years. I have to admit though, that I still find myself spending waaaaay too much time online and not enough outside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder what role the school and/or teachers should play in educating parents about appropriate media use. Karen Hays' points about the Waldorf school approach to media use was interesting in this respect, and I suppose the fact that parents are spending mucho money to send their kids to the Waldorf school gives the school more leverage.

    I also wonder if schools should declare "media-free zones" for students, and emphasize non-"mediated" activities (sports are good, or chess, or dancing, etc.) for students, if for no other reason to balance out the media use at home.

    jd

    ReplyDelete